Monday, March 18, 2019

For Now

For Now - Read on March 17, 2019 at Mary's, Baldwin Creek,

Published in Spring 2019 Zig Zag Lit Mag





For Now

A phone trills, our neighbor speaks,
an ambulance has been summoned.
I embark on a swift drive north

My calm surprises me
I know right where to park, too

There you are, Bed #63
outfitted in cotton gown.
Machines beep an S-O-S rhythm
needles pierce veins amidst a veil of wires
yet you smile and say hello.

Reaching out, I touch your ankle
it's all I can think of to do, so
I hope my hand feels warm
and I wonder, does such a gesture
        ever save a person's life?

Doctors speak in a language of mixed messages,
which we absorb in increments.
I'm reminded of those books about
        Mindfulness and the Now, and
I realize it'd probably be helpful to consider
it all -- for future reference.  

Eileen Brunetto

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete