Monday, April 21, 2014

Apple of my Eye

My iPhone and I just celebrated our first anniversary. The phone’s wallpaper displayed my granddaughter's face. The music I have amassed on iTunes was perfection - I counted on this music for my morning commute . Checking weather on the cute app has been fun, and my bank balance, accessed within a moment’s access. I was probably weeks away from taking my phone to bed with me in true corporate lady-mogul fashion. How could I have been so careless?


It’s odd, I had been considering this dreaded possibility only hours before. "Wow, what would I do without my iPhone?”


On occasion,  I am scatterbrained and disorganized, and often in a rush. My handbag is one of the more prominent places where I exhibit this behavior. My hand flails fruitlessly through the bag, wildly rifling its contents in the most cringe-worthy manner.  Any witness would come down with a serious case of the willies. 


  I assumed my iPhone was swimming in the bottom of my handbag; or I left it on a merchant’s countertop. After my initial breakdown, inquiries to several town vendors, and three complete ransackings of my purse, I conceded.  My iPhone had vaporized. 


*****


It has been a week. I’ve deduced that I probably left the phone in my accidentally unlocked vehicle. Or I dropped it in the road, and it got run over by a passing car on Main Street. Regardless, I’m using my husband’s old Droid to fill the void, so I can at least maintain phone contact, but I miss my iPhone. 


A noted side effect is that I am slowly disconnecting from too many phone calls, from Facebook, and I don’t read texts until hours after they've arrived in my Inbox. My hand doesn’t obsessively scramble for my tiny, black treasure any longer. To my friends: I’m still here, like a voice in the night - bear with me. 


It’s not as much fun to check the weather on an antiquated Droid. I still crave the touch and feel of iPhone, but the craving diminishes with each day. 


Arianna Huffington, famous lady mogul, with her anti-stress campaign urging us “to take it down a notch”  has nothing on me. She can chat up the media, discuss politics and her perspectives on spirituality with Oprah all she wants. Because unlike me, she still has her iPhone. 







No comments:

Post a Comment